The demand for digital printing for packaging is increasing rapidly. This is the view of printing and packaging powerhouse, Colourtone Aries. Marketers are not only after crucial cost saving methodologies; they are after speedier turnaround times and vastly improved and consistent output quality. On top of this, they are pushing the boundaries of innovation and printers are responding and matching design thought with state-of-the-art printing and packaging solutions.
Colourtone Aries managing director, John Bywater, is excited about the benefits of digital printing for packaging. “Not only is speed of delivery a competitive advantage; the flexibility it provides ensures that marketers are able to match quantity with demand, positively affecting bottom line results.” he says.
New installations of state-of-the-art digital presses across the world are on the rise. Printing and packaging solutions are merging to offer clients the best of both worlds. With the latest generation digital presses backed by advanced packaging design thought, solutions are increasingly becoming more sophisticated keeping pace with what the consumer wants and marketers demand.
“Over the past 5 years, printing and packaging companies have embraced technological innovation,” says John. “This has largely been driven by specific demand from marketers seeking to differentiate their brands from their competitors. We have seen a paradigm shift from traditional and generic printing and packaging thought to a total business solutions offering that has at its core productivity, quality and profitability for the client. On top of this, flexibility and speed to market are key elements in printing and packaging solutions.
Colourtone Aries highlights key benefits of digital printing for packaging:
- Flexibility. Digital printing allows for a far more flexible approach in terms of speed, smaller runs and graphic options
- Innovation. Design thought drives the process offering marketers several opportunities to differentiate their brands.
- Evolve with consumer demand. Marketers can respond rapidly to market demands and adapt for seasonal promotions, events and, especially in South Africa, roll out the same promotional campaigns in a number of different languages without having to invest in large print runs for each language.
- Brand launching. Marketers now have the option to use digital printing for their packaging demands to launch new products more cost effectively and improve shelf visibility.
- More print possibilities. Digital technology offers significantly more print possibilities not financially viable with traditional litho solutions.
- Speed to market. Digital technology improves the speed to market allowing for just-in-time-printing to match consumer demand. A new trend in packaging is moving towards a “sell-it-make-it-pack-it” philosophy.
John concludes, “Digital allows for on-demand printing at highly cost effective rates and drives a lean packaging production culture and vastly improved flexibility. Marketers are able to reduce quantities to match demand, target specific audiences with personalised and customised printing and packaging runs and use this form of printing as a powerful tool to build brand awareness and maintain brand loyalty at a lower cost than before.”