In a fiercely competitive retail world, every element of product packaging counts. Marketers need to understand all influences that attract consumers to invest in their brands. Trends in packaging reflect the demands of consumers that tend to become primary factors in the success of winning brands.
Packaging experts, Colourtone Aries, notes that trends in the packaging industry reflect a combination of the evolution of consumer demands and technical ability of graphic designers. Managing director, John Bywater, says, “Design thought has not changed significantly over the years in that it still aims to offer consumers or end users of products the ideal gratification from their purchase. What has evolved is the technical ability of designers that is pushing the boundaries of design. On top of this, packaging companies are responding to the rapid evolution of design capabilities to provide a complete range of complex packaging solutions.”
Colourtone Aries highlights some trends emerging in the field of packaging:
- Subjectivity. Everyone has a view on packaging. Marketers who understand their target audience and provide graphic designers with a clear brief of their requirements tend to produce winning packaging solutions.
- Sustainability. The world’s focus is on sustainability. Everyone is keeping an eye on what companies are doing to reduce their carbon footprint. Packaging that provides for the sustainability of our planet will be favoured by consumers. Recycling will become critical in all forms of packaging and printers are continually seeking ways to incorporate recyclable materials.
- Information requirements. Modern packaging is more than a protective product covering or container. Legislation now requires specific information to be displayed, which differs substantially from industry to industry, and can challenge graphic design solutions. Health and safety warnings have become increasingly critical on packaging. Added to this are a number of icons, symbols and messages that command space.
- House brands versus the rest. Retail stores are stocking more “House Brands” that are creeping onto prime shelf space. Marketers are being tested in the modern competitive shop space and, while emphasis is placed on responsible packaging solutions, they have to ensure their brands remain attractive and a first choice option for consumers. The range of packaging solutions available today offers marketers and graphic designers a significant choice to keep brands on a highly competitive road.
- Innovation. Marketing has moved into an exciting future. With so much competition, marketers are looking at unique interactions with their audience. This, largely, entails innovative packaging as consumers interact with brands more and more on social media platforms. Packaging plays a critical role in the entire marketing experience and marketers are paying significant attention to this aspect of the marketing mix
John says, “Consumers are so much more savvy in the modern consumer market. They read labels and information on product packaging to make informed purchasing decisions. What you say on your packaging and how you introduce your product to the market is crucial for the success of your brand. Packaging companies have a range of solutions that have been tested for their success. These solutions, in most cases, are flexible enough to allow for graphic design innovation.”
Generally brands cannot get to the market without some form of packaging. Be responsible with your choice of packaging and you will secure the loyalty of your customers.